Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Nekojin roundup

Yesterday SF Signal reported on Ryan Britt's posting over at Tor about Cat-People in SF (which mercifully didn't take the form of a Top 10 List). I meant to comment but I got distracted, which goes to show my own cat-like nature. Or something. Anyway, there are a few more nekojin I can think of that didn't get mentioned.


Andre Norton's  Plague Ship (1956) featured the felinoid Salarik along side the ship's cat.



Poul Anderson's Ensign Flandry (1966) had the Tigres as major players.


Marion Zimmer Bradley gave a nod to Lerry Niven's K'zin in her book Hunters of the Red Moon (1973) by including the fierce K'zimm. I don't know what I was thinking. Those nekojin were called Mekhars.



How can I not mention Aisha Clanclan (エイシャ・クランクラン) from Outlaw Star (1997-today)? There are hordes of nekojin in manga and anime, but she's one of the most memorable.

UPDATE: I forgot Alan Dean Foster's felinoid Tran and the related Golden Saia from his Icerigger Trilogy.

No comments: